BIG SANDY, Texas—Local United Church of God members and visitors packed the house the Sabbath of Jan. 19, 2008, for the formal dedication of the UCG’s new building here.
More than 300 people gathered in the new facility, which sits on 10 acres at 1007 N. Tyler St. (Texas Highway 155 North), to hear sermons from visiting ministers Roy Holladay and Clyde Kilough.
However, Mr. Holladay canceled his trip from Ohio to Big Sandy at the last minute because of the death of a close friend, UCG elder Bill Winner of Birmingham, Ala.
Speaking at the dedication service were pastor Ken Treybig, making announcements and introducing the special music, and Mr. Kilough.
Planning and building
Mr. Treybig credited UCG member Morris Foster of Gladewater, Texas, for donating his service as the building project’s manager over the seven years since the church-member meeting, in 2001, that began the planning and building process.
The official groundbreaking for the one-story 12,750-square-foot metal structure was a little more than three years ago, on Nov. 11, 2004.
The congregation, known officially as the United Church of God East Texas, raised $225,000 for a building fund, with the home office of the United Church of God an International Association, in Milford, Ohio, contributing an additional $50,000. The total cost of the facility is about $586,000.
The deed to the building is held locally, with plans to turn it over to the parent organization when the $165,000 note at a local bank is retired, perhaps 20 years from now.